Looking for a refreshing lunch box idea? How about a Mason Jar Salad?
When the weather is super hot, you’ll probably lose your hot food appetite and crave something energizing and refreshing for lunch. Some might choose to avoid consuming a fully carbohydrate heavy-meal at lunch, as it can sometimes lead to sleepiness. Quinoa is a perfect gluten-free, cholesterol-free substitute for pasta or rice. It is also a superfood that is packed with protein, iron, B-vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, vitamin E and fiber.
Quinoa Mason Jar Salad
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Handful of dill
Handful of parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup Healthworks Quinoa (uncooked)
1 cup water
1/2 cup chopped cucumbers
1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup chickpeas
3/4 cup arugula
3/4 cup baby spinach
1 tablespoon Healthworks sunflower seeds
- Mix all the dressing ingredients until smooth and set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup Healthworks Quinoa with 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa is tender (about 15 minutes)
- Pour the dressing in the jar, and place chickpeas, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, quinoa and arugula in order. Top with sunflower seeds.
- Store sealed jars in the fridge for up to 4 days
- When serving, empty the salad jar into a bowl, stir well and enjoy!
- Or if you prefer, keep the dressing aside, and pour into the jar at lunchtime. You can place the cap on the jar and shake it to evenly distribute.