Strawberry Ice Cream with Cacao Nibs
- 4 cups half and half (or 2 cups cream and 2 cups whole milk)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup Healthworks Cacao Nibs
- Whisk the the half and half together with the sugar in a 4 quart saucepan and heat just until bubbles form around the edges.
- Whisk the egg yolks thoroughly in a separate bowl and temper with about a cup of hot cream. Whisk then add back to the half and half.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring steadily, until the custard reaches 170ºF and coats the back of a spoon. Don't let it boil - you'll end up with scrambled eggs.
- Stir in the vanilla, cover and put in the fridge to cool overnight.
- Clean and hull the strawberries.
- Chop half the berries into eighths or small bits.
- Puree the other half in a food processor.
- Combine the liquified berries and the chopped berries, and stir in the sugar, rum, and lemon juice.
- Put in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, or until slightly reduced and shiny.
- Put in the fridge to cool overnight.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.