Strawberry Ice Cream with Cacao Nibs
- 4 cups half and half (or 2 cups cream and 2 cups whole milk)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pound strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup Healthworks Cacao Nibs
- Whisk the the half and half together with the sugar in a 4 quart saucepan and heat just until bubbles form around the edges.
- Whisk the egg yolks thoroughly in a separate bowl and temper with about a cup of hot cream. Whisk then add back to the half and half.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring steadily, until the custard reaches 170ºF and coats the back of a spoon. Don't let it boil - you'll end up with scrambled eggs.
- Stir in the vanilla, cover and put in the fridge to cool overnight.
- Clean and hull the strawberries.
- Chop half the berries into eighths or small bits.
- Puree the other half in a food processor.
- Combine the liquified berries and the chopped berries, and stir in the sugar, rum, and lemon juice.
- Put in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, or until slightly reduced and shiny.
- Put in the fridge to cool overnight.
Note: Run the cream mixture through the ice cream machine for about 30 minutes. At the end, pour in the cold strawberry mixture and the cacao nibs. Fold in by hand if necessary. Freeze for at least four hours before serving.